Your landlord has to:
- Put an acceptable fixed heater in the main living area.
- Put extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Fix any unreasonable gaps or holes that cause noticeable draughts.
- Put acceptable insulation in the ceiling and underfloor.
- Make sure gutters, downpipes and drains work.
Read our short guide to find out more about what’s required at your boarding house.
Healthy homes standards(external link) – Tenancy Services
If you don’t think your boarding house has everything it needs, then ask your landlord. If that doesn’t work find out what you can do next on the Tenancy Services website.
How you can help keep your home healthy
Keeping your home healthy isn’t just up to your landlord. Here are some little things you can do daily to help keep you and your housemates warm, dry and healthy.